How much responsibility?

Lorenzo

When you have older kids, say between 10-15 years old, how much responsibility do you give them when it comes to babysitting their younger siblings (like a toddler)?

I am usually responsible for my three-year old's needs - bathing, putting him to bed, playing with him - but at times, I ask the older children to watch him while I do my own stuff which could take half of the day. This arrangement seems to work out fine (for me) but I've noticed my little boy doesn't get changed when his clothes are wet, and he always ends up crying for whatever reason. I'm thinking, maybe I shouldn't let the other kids watch him anymore, but what about my other responsibilities?

Bearsfan

My girls are pretty good when it comes to keeping their little brother out of trouble or alerting my wife or I if he's heading for trouble, but at 7 and 9, they are too young for full responsibility. But I would think a teenager is capable of handling that kind of responsibility, but the issue might be more of them wanting to deal with those tasks.

Salazar

Maybe you should have a talk with them and spell out what you expect from them when they're watching the little one. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving them some responsibility in this matter.

CHenne

Well first I would ask how often are you asking them to watch the toddler? It really isn't their job right? Once in a while would be fine but not all the time. It is not their responsibility as they did not have the child.

Bear

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking kids between the age of 10 & 15 to help out with their younger siblings. I have to disagree with CHenne as long as it is not all day everyday. Families have to work together in order to function and sometimes that means older kids need to watch over the younger ones so you can get things done. I would sit down with your older children and tell them what is expected of them when they are watching the little one, and reiterate how you all have to work together.

Lorenzo

CHenne, the only time the older kids can watch my little boy is when they're home from school and that's only for a few minutes or so. Of course, they need to finish their homework first before they can play with their little brother. My wife and I are aware that we, as his parents are his first caregivers and we don't want to burden the older children with this responsibility. :)

Just like Bear said, I also believe that families need to work together, so other important things get accomplished. Also, work becomes faster and easier when every member of the family is helping out.

Andersson

At that age I would think there is no real excuse to miss when the youngest is wet. Have you asked them about it? The 10 year old I could kind of understand but the 15 year old is the oldest and should have went through this before (when the 10 year old was smaller), what excuse is given for the wet issue?

Timothy

I agree with Chenne here. I don't think it's the older/oldest child's responsibility to take care of his or her younger siblings. I know that families have to work together in order to function, but I don't think that justifies forced babysitting on a regular basis. That's not fair to the older children, nor is it fair to the younger children that are being deprived of their parents' attention. At the end of the day, a child is his parent's responsibility, not his brother's or sister's.

Jack

I think the decision about how much responsibility to give to the teenager depends a lot on the teenager. It's probably best to start with less responsibility and incrementally increase it as the teen shows what they can be trusted with.