How to lower blood pressure

benben

I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure. I am very lucky because it is not bad yet. We have caught it early. So what are some ways I can lower my blood pressure?

Kyron

If you are heavy, lose weight. The more you lose the better your chance of lowering your blood pressure. Manage stress. This sounds like a total sissy, but I took up meditating. There are a lot of resources online that will show you how. I use a sound machine that sounds like rain. I tell my wife to give me 30 minutes and if I've fallen asleep, wake me. I didn't know how much I would start to like doing this but I like it, A LOT! Lower your sodium intake. Sodas have a lot of sodium as well as a lot of sugar. If you can stop altogether that's wonderful. I did and I don't miss it now. I do have a cup of coffee in the mornings but that's it. Also decrease your caffeine intake. Caffeine will cause your blood pressure to go up. Good luck!

benben

I am only about 10 pounds over weight. I am starting to work out more. As for managing stress... help! I do not think meditating sounds sissy at all I just do not know how to do it. I am so stressed out. I like the idea of your sound machine. Where do you buy something like that at?

Oh and thank you for the wonderful post. If I can learn to manage this stress I know I would feel so much better!

Kyron

I've seen the sound machines in different online places. Just Google for "sound machines" and you should find a nice selection. There are also instructions on different places on how to meditate. It is very restful.

McGregor

Good advice. Apart from that, you should be more aware about what you eat. Take only healthy food stay away from junk food though it's cheap and tasty.

syboken

Do you try to limit your stress and your work load? I notice that tends to be the largest issue that most have when it comes to BP issues or heart ones.