Icky produce

BigPapa

I am so mad because I just bought strawberries and grapes over the weekend and both of them have gone bad already. Seriously! With the prices they are charging the produce should last more than a couple of days after you get it home. It is ridiculous.

Bearsfan

I never have any luck with strawberries, but it surprises me that your grapes went bad so fast. We have started buying smaller quantities with more trips to the market, because all the produce has looked rough.

BigPapa

I had the same thing happen with a tomato today. I just bought it 2 days ago! At this rate I will have to go to the grocery store every day just to make sure I always have fresh produce on hand. This is just getting ridiculous.

olderthandirt

Strawberries should be used within 24 hours most of the time, but grapes should last several days without worry. It may not be your grocery store, though. I recommend checking the temperature of your fridge and make sure you use the produce drawers. A lot of people don't realize that they are purposely made to keep produce better than any other section of the refrigerator.

polamalu43

Wow! I have had strawberries last a lot longer than 1 day. Grapes should last longer than 2 days too. We have lost a lot of produce too but usually everything lasts more than a couple of days. Are you putting them in the crisper section in your fridge?

Victor

I hate when my produce goes bad quickly; it's so frustrating! I agree that you should check your fridge temperature and make sure you use the crisper drawers. Also, soak your grapes and strawberries (separately) in a 1 to 3 mixture of vinegar and water, then drain. The vinegar/water mixture cleans them and helps inhibit mold production. You won't taste any vinegar on your produce either.

BigPapa

Yes, we are putting them in the crisper! Strawberries definitely should last more than 1 day! For goodness sakes it takes longer than that for them to get from the farm to the store.