Inheritance

polamalu43

I received an inheritance from my grams estate on Friday. What a process it was. Leave it to the US Government to hold things up. Gram passed away on Valentine's day. I stuck the money into my savings account.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for your loss. Yeah, I would not be surprised they are holding things up. With rates possibly going up next year I am surprised they did not hold onto it for a few more weeks.

BigPapa

Probate is a terrible thing to be sure. It can take years in some cases because they have to make sure that the will is valid, that there are no debts against the estate and that there aren't any more heirs not named in the will. I am sorry for your loss as well but the savings account boost is nice. I had a great uncle die last year and he left all of us a $1000 bond.

Michael

I've been executor on two estates, so I know all the time-consuming tasks that have to occur. One of these estates involved a bunch of old, worthless cars sitting in an empty field. They still had titles which had to be closed out before we could settle. That took some doing to get rid of all those cars.

polamalu43

Its crazy for sure. Just glad they (lawyers) got the tax tables so it could be done! I saw the news too about the hike in estate taxes next year. Sure is crazy! Government is getting greedy.

GranddadHoward

My aunt died and left me part of her estate. It took almost a year for it to close and part of that time, it was at the state government for one reason or another. It's even worse if an heir challenges the will.

CHenne

I'm sorry to hear about your gram. Wonder why it took so long. Pretty nice though that she left money to you. Most people I know only leave it to their kids (not grandkids). The government is slow at everything!

Andersson

The government is getting greedy, it is getting greedier. I can not count the number of people I have known over the years going through the same hellish process, even I had to do it once and closing down things you never knew people close to you had - it is nutty. The only thing that makes it worse is when they screw up the paperwork and you have an extra delay for no reason (that anyone can really figure out). The process to lose someone is hard but having to deal with the government and lawyers on top is just a curse.

LeonR

I've been through this before, too. What really makes it bad is the people who don't have to do any of the leg work but who want a check cut to them right away. They just don't understand, which may be why they weren't named executors.