Knowing Your Weaknesses

Chrisitan

I have had to conquer a problem when it comes to disciplining my children. I'm a softy. I can do it but it tears me up to have to. When I make them miss a movie or stay home from a friend's house because of their bad behavior, it just kills me. I don't show them but I'm so tempted to go overboard and make up for their missing out on a treat. Do you do the same or am I just too soft?

Andersson

I have never done that myself but I know my wife has a few times. I really do not think that trying to postpone a reward is really a good thing, the only thing it teaches kids is that they will get rewarded at some point. It does not matter if they are bad or not because sometime later they still get that treat.

Victor

I'm much more likely to go overboard and yell too much. I'm working on deep breathing and counting to ten before I react. It's hard.

olderthandirt

You sound like you're doing things right, though. You say you are tempted, not that you do it. Discipline is necessary, but what they don't realize is that we don't enjoy it any more than they do.

John

Sometimes when I have been punishing the kids, especially when they were little, I'd laugh in the middle of disciplining them. I just couldn't help it. My wife never let me forget it. They were just so cute. I do have a temper, but it's hard to get over the snickers when they hit just right.