Leg cramps

Bear

I have been having horrible leg cramps every night for the past couple of weeks. I have gotten them intermittently since I was in my teens, but never every single night. Does anyone have a leg cramp cure?

olderthandirt

Leg cramps can be the result of a deficiency in either potassium or iron. Try getting more of those nutrients in your diet for the next few days and see if it helps. They can also be caused by dehydration so try drinking more water, too.

danno

My mum used to suffer from this until she started drinking tonic water. Apparently the quinine in this is good for cramps and she says that it's much improved. I think she adds a little vodka to the tonic, so this may also help.:p

Timothy

Bear, my wife has had leg cramps off and on for years as well. She mostly notices them when she works out with too heavy a focus on her lower body. We don't know if it comes from overtaxing the muscles or her becoming dehydrated, or a combination of both. Do you workout?

polamalu43

Pickles! They have to be dill though. You need potassium it sounds like. I eat a dill pickle every night and I don't have the cramps anymore. Bananas also work if you don't like pickles.

Bear

My mum used to suffer from this until she started drinking tonic water. Apparently the quinine in this is good for cramps and she says that it's much improved. I think she adds a little vodka to the tonic, so this may also help.:p
I have been trying to remember quinine all week...thank-you! I drink lots of water because I get so hot working in the kitchen and I eat tons of bananas already. I didn't know about the iron or the pickle juice though. Thanks for the advice guys!

Timothy

I didn't know about pickles helping with cramps, either. I'll have to tell my wife about that. Maybe a pickle a day will help with the calf cramps she gets off and on.

danno

I love Dill pickles and bananas and eat them almost every day, though not at the same time! Maybe that's what stops me getting cramps because I don't drink tonic water like my mum.

Sinbian

Up your intake of all minerals and try working out. Some advise to try weights and some long moderate cardios. Try to see what works better for you.