Let them speak

Alfy

Our children are in their teens and we have a great relationship. One thing I have learned to do is keep the communication lines open. This has proved invaluable over the years. We let the children talk about anything they want and they keep us informed of the things happening in their lives.

The most important thing is to listen without judgment. This is not always easy, especially for me, but we do it. When there is a problem we will sit down and help them solve it. Usually they figure things out on their own with a little help from us. Nothing is taboo to talk about.

CHenne

Excellent advice. My wife is great at this too. I try my best to listen to my kids without passing judgement but it is hard. We do have a great relationship though.

My wife lets them talk and then she calmy talks back. She offers suggestions if they ask. I love the relationship that we have with our kids.

RichA

My kids always tell me things. They aren't old enough yet to have a lot of problems or drama. I think the best parents are the ones that let their kids talk. Don't jump down their throats. Let them speak their mind and then you can talk about it.

popsmcnitt

Our children are in their teens and we have a great relationship. One thing I have learned to do is keep the communication lines open. This has proved invaluable over the years. We let the children talk about anything they want and they keep us informed of the things happening in their lives.

The most important thing is to listen without judgment. This is not always easy, especially for me, but we do it. When there is a problem we will sit down and help them solve it. Usually they figure things out on their own with a little help from us. Nothing is taboo to talk about.
This is an excellent post. I remember my parents never giving me enough time to say my piece. I swear they were not listening to me. So, I go overboard doing the opposite with my son. I often have him write down his thoughts and feelings so that he can accurately describe his intentions. I've found that he'll write down a lot of sensitive things that he won't say out loud.

Timeless

This is an excellent post. I remember my parents never giving me enough time to say my piece. I swear they were not listening to me. So, I go overboard doing the opposite with my son. I often have him write down his thoughts and feelings so that he can accurately describe his intentions. I've found that he'll write down a lot of sensitive things that he won't say out loud.
Writing it down is a great idea since there are things they are too embarrassed to voice to you. My son will look down while he talks to me about anything he feels embarrassed about, so I let him say his piece and calmly answer him. This way he feels a little more comfortable talking about it. Next time I'll ask him if he wants to write down his thoughts.

popsmcnitt

Writing it down is a great idea since there are things they are too embarrassed to voice to you. My son will look down while he talks to me about anything he feels embarrassed about, so I let him say his piece and calmly answer him. This way he feels a little more comfortable talking about it. Next time I'll ask him if he wants to write down his thoughts.
Please do. And after he writes down his thoughts, write him a letter back. I think that he will appreciate it. My kid is really quiet in person but he sends me the longest e-mails. I think there is just something special about non-verbal communication. People, especially kids, really open themselves up when they communicate through the written word instead of the spoken word.

Victor

It can be so difficult to not jump in with my own opinion, so I'm working on that. My kids are too little for the letter/email idea, but I will keep it in mind for when they are old enough.