Letting the kids talk to me?

Unclerob

My brother is having a problem with his son coming to talk to me about certain things. I keep telling my brother that if I ever thought that his son was in danger or needed to talk to his dad, I would tell him (my brother). Do you see any harm in letting my nephew come and talk things over with me? If he won't with his dad, isn't it good that he is reaching out to someone?

Seven

It's good to let kids know that they can reach out to other family members if they need help, but ultimately it's still the fathers' call. How old is this child?

Tyler

I think it is great that he is at least reaching out to talk to someone instead of keeping it all bottled up. You both want the nephew work out his problems no matter who he talks to and unless he is putting himself or others in danger I see nothing wrong with it.

Kyron

If you thought your nephew needed to tell his dad something he has told you, would you insist he do so? I would talk things over with your brother and let him know how you feel.

Ken

I do not see any harm in children going to any adult that will listen to them and they feel comfortable with. I wish when I was younger I would have had an uncle that would listen, because my father wouldn't. Hope your brother understands and it doesn't become a large issue.

syboken

There are times when the uncle bond is stronger than the father one, and that is only because so many kids are raised to only talk to their parents about things. As long as the adult is capable of helping, I see no issues who they talk to, sometimes you just need to talk.