Looking for a job is so much worse than working one

Kenny

My company outsourced all of their labor and I have been unemployed for well over a year. I probably have several hundred applications floating around out there in cyberspace and I can't even get an interview. I am so frustrated and our financial circumstances are starting to get dire. I have been trying to find some ways to bring income in from home while I am here, but online money seems pretty tough to come by too.

DeputyDad

That's rough. I know so many people in the same situation right now and it's scary. Have you checked with the state to see if they have any programs? I know the state of Texas does. If you lose your job due to it leaving the country they may pay for your education. It's called the Workforce Investment Act.

Kenny

Well, I am in Georgia and we have the Hope scholarship so school is paid for. I really need to find something quick to get the bills paid though.

polamalu43

I hope you do find something quick. Did you go to college? If it was paid for by the state I would have. What about unemployment? I know I complain a lot about my job. I should cut it out.

BigPapa

It is like that for everyone. Do you have any marketable skills that would allow you to go into business for yourself? Are you technically savvy? There are a couple of places out there where you can make decent money if you are.

DeputyDad

The job market is still pretty rough. You may be able to a get a few hours of work with the holidays coming up if you don't mind retail. I know that sucks, but it might help a little.

Have you tried an employment service to see what they can offer?

olderthandirt

Online work is actually easy to find, but you have to have a sellable skill, like writing or creating graphics. The income may not be top dollar, at least many offers aren't, but when you're desperate, anything helps.

Kenny

I am currently enrolled in college and no I am not technically savvy. I have an interview tomorrow morning so fingers crossed everybody! Maybe tomorrow I will have some good news to report.

Timothy

Good luck with tomorrow's interview, Kenny; I hope it goes well for you. The state of the economy really sucks right now and it seems like things are just going to keep rolling downhill for a while before they start to look up again. =/

Bear

I have been unemployed off and on for the past year and a half and I know exactly what you mean Kenny. Good luck with your interview tomorrow!

Victor

Kenny, I am so sorry you have been struggling (that goes for you too, Bear). Good luck with your interview and let us know how it went.

Kenny

Well, the interview was a total bust. $7.25 an hour and a 3 hour (round trip) commute? Add to that the rotating shifts from 4am to 2pm and 2pm to 1am and you may work differing shifts in the same week? No, thanks! The search continues! Thanks for the support guys! :)

Victor

Yikes, that doesn't sound like a good opportunity at all. I think I could deal with the crazy shifts but with that kind of commute, all the income would be eaten up by gas money.

Timothy

Wow, those are some crazy shifts! You would think that they'd offer more than minimum wage just because they're asking people to basically work halfway into third shift!