Looking for the truth

Blue44

I have a 20 year old son who tells me what he thinks I want to hear instead of the truth. I have corrected him on it on many occasions, but he still continues to lie to me. I think he is afraid of what I may say about his decisions and actions and doesn't want to hear it. What should I do to get him to tell the truth?

Victor

Maybe you could sit down with him and talk about how he's an adult now and his decisions are his own. You'd be happy to help if he wants it, but it's no longer your place to judge how he lives his life.

I don't have experience in this arena yet so I don't know how good my advice is; since it seems like he is afraid, though, your reassurance of continued love and agreeing to back off may help.

polamalu43

You could tell him that you will stand by him with whatever choices he is making. Were you hard on him when he was growing up? Just wondering why he feels like he can't be honest.

Blue44

You could tell him that you will stand by him with whatever choices he is making. Were you hard on him when he was growing up? Just wondering why he feels like he can't be honest.
My wife and I ran a pretty tight ship for our boys, but I wouldn't say we were hard on them. They got to travel to other countries and do things that a lot of other children their age didn't get to do. This son has been telling stories since he was a youngster. We tried to get him to be truthful in all ways, but it never seemed to take. Now that he's older, he actually seems to be worse. He doesn't just lie to me, he also lies to his Mother and others I know of. He nay just not realize that he's lying.