Male menopause is 'rare' but it is not a myth

jason

Administrator
Staff member
The male menopause does exist - but it is rare, researchers have concluded.

Just days after it was dismissed as a myth, the European team said the male menopause did exist - but that it affects only 2% of middle-aged men.

Over 3,300 men from across Europe were assessed for the New England of Journal study.

A men's health expert said testosterone therapy could be beneficial, but doctors had to be cautious about its use.

Continue reading the main story
We need to be very cautious about the prescribing of testosterone therapy
Dr Ian Banks

President, Men's Health Forum
Scientists led by a team from the University of Manchester looked at the testosterone levels of 3,369 men aged 40 to 79 from eight European centres.

The men were also asked about their sexual, physical and mental health.

more BBC News - Male menopause is 'rare' but it is not a myth

SilverVeil

Male menopause does happen, it's commonly called mid-life crisis. Its the point in life when they feel a lessening of themselves. This is hormonal. Young boys have the reverse, they think they're invincible. Older men, in menopause, compensate by making a visual showing of their manhood. Younger women, fast cars, trendier clothes, hairline/hairstyle changes.

Sammie

Lord help my wife if I fall into the 2%, lol. I don't see me being the type of guy to have a midlife crisis, but I guess there is no telling what your hormones are going to do to you. And once those levels change, you can't really go back to normal without treatment.

Theran

Oh, I sure hope this doesn't happen to me. Somehow I can't see myself driving a Vette with some chick 20 years my junior sitting next to me, lol. What kind of effects does it have on sexual health, I wonder.