Maternity Leave

Strongarm

I know my wife is allowed a certain amount of time off from her job for maternity leave, but what about me as the father? I don't want to lose my job, but there is no way I will miss the first week or so with my baby being born. Is there some kind of protection for fathers?

Last edited:

jason

Administrator
Staff member
UPS allowed you to take 6 weeks off for a newborn for fathers. It was unpaid, and if you had any vacation time left for the year, they took that. That was the only place that had any type of leave for fathers. Most people I know just took their vacations at other jobs when the baby came.

Strongarm

That company sounds good, although it would be tough to take 6 weeks with no pay. I would like to save some of my vacation time next year, because I do have 4 weeks. I was just wondering if I could take time off without having to use that PTO.

Last edited:

crowl

Most places are set with unpaid work if its after the designated "required" time. Have you checked with your employer or read the company hand book? Most will note this in detail to avoid any confusion.

Clive

Have you thought about taking a week of your vacation for the first week and then maybe working half days during the second week? That should give you a good amount of time to enjoy the baby being home.