Meeting your child's gay partner.

Justadad

Our daughter has two children and is separated from her husband. She brought her new, female partner to meet us yesterday. The young girl was understandably nervous but, old fashioned though we are, our daughter and the grandchildren were so obviously happy with this girl that we welcomed her with open arms. It doesn't matter what sex the person you love is, does it?

Salazar

I know there are still people out there who vehemently disagree with homosexuality, but I don't know anyone personally who would oust there child/grandchild because of it. My wife and I know two families who are currently going through this and both the kids and their partners have been accepted without judgment.

Victor

I can see why she was nervous. I'm glad you were able to welcome her. I have no idea if my daughters will be homosexual or not, but if they are, that is ok with us. We want grandchildren either way though! ;)

Lorenzo

I grew up with homosexuals from both sides of my family - my two aunts from my mother's side, and an uncle from my dad's side. Whenever there were family get-togethers, my aunts and uncle would always bring their respective partners, and no one ever minded. To us, it was just normal.

It's great that your daughter has found someone new, and who gets along well with the family. This is just my opinion, but sometimes, same-sex relationships last longer than heterosexual ones.

Andersson

I never understood the hype about this at all. We have always welcome people into our family and home without a second thought. I do not understand why some shun others on all types of things (sexual preference included). To me it spreads more hate and I was always taught to love, not hate.

Justadad

I'm glad to see so many positive comments. It would seem that my daughter's ex husband is the only one that objects to this arrangement, and we all know why that is!

Jack

Even if you didn't accept it, what would it change? Since your daughter is an adult, and it's her choice, it doesn't really matter what you think about it.

Bearsfan

I would just want my child to be happy. My standards and expectations for their partner would be the same whether or not they were gay.

Blue44

While I do not agree that homosexuality is a proper life style, I think you must continue to love and support your child if you want to have continued influence in their life. If you don't agree with their choice of a way of life or their choice of life partner, you will not help the situation by turning away from them.