Mobilephone for 10 years old.

agoodwriter

Hey.

I got one children, it's a 10 years old boy and he's everyday asking that when does he get a cell phone, do you people think that he's enough old to have a cell phone?..

He's also complaining that all he's friends are having those really cool cell phones.

Lorenzo

Yes, kids are really into technology these days. I think it's alright to give him his own cellphone if you can see that he's responsible enough to be trusted with it. Usually, kids just want something because other kids have it. If it's for communication purposes, then it's okay. As for my own kids, we only give them mobile phones when they are at least 12 years old.

Bobby

I agree that it depends on the maturity of the child. But we had our kids take ours with them when they were going out to places like the mall in case they needed to get hold of us or visa versa.

Victor

If you do decide to get him a phone, I'd suggest a prepaid one that doesn't allow you to go over the allotted plan. I've heard too many horror stories of parents getting huge bills because their kids went overboard.

Sinbian

I'm not buying a 10 year old a cell phone. I don't care what others say about that. Although he carries it sometimes when we need to stay in contact with him.

Clay

I did not get a cell phone until after I graduated high school. Kids are so lucky these days, or spoiled. There is no reason for a ten year old to have a phone. Phones are not allowed in schools and I doubt your son is away from you enough to even need a phone. I would hold off until the kid is sixteen. What happens when you always give into your child's whims, just because his friends do something?

joeldgreat

We've given a cellphone for my daughter at age of 11. She said that some of her classmates already had one when they're 8 or 9 years old. At first I was hesitant to give her a new one as she might not be matured enough to use it. The biggest factor that made us decide that at age of 11, she can now have a new one:
- First, we go to her school and ask the guidance office on what is the policy of cellphones on the campus. Good to know that they had a strict policy on it (e.g. no use of cp during class hours, if caught, it will be confiscated for the entire school year).
- Trust for our daughter to use the cellphone wisely which she follows until today.

Victor Leigh

If you do decide to get him a phone, I'd suggest a prepaid one that doesn't allow you to go over the allotted plan. I've heard too many horror stories of parents getting huge bills because their kids went overboard.
Good idea. I remember one friend who intentionally disconnected his landline phone and gave all his kids pre-paid mobiles because of the astronomical phone bills.

meowcow

If his friends are getting them, my opinion is you should get him one too. Like it or not, this is now the current interest of his friends and he might get left out. If you are worried about him getting spoiled, then make him work for it, but do get him one. Remember, times are constantly changing and things tend to represent different things at different times. A celphone to us back then and probably until now might seem as something just for calling, but a celphone to a kid nowadays is also a cool plaything, and I personally believe that it isn't that much less important because of that.

Godric

I think it is alright for a 10 years old to get a cell phone. I hate to admit it but the younger generation are more talented and are smarter than how we were back then. When I was 10 years, I can only read books.

Babar

No, I don't think it's necessary for any kid to have their own cell phone. If they're not with their parents, they're at school, an activity, or with friends...all places that have phones, anyway. I think once they can drive they can have a cell phone, since they are much more likely to need it then.