More shootings...

FrankSinatra

This is my second or third post of this matter recently but breaking news reports show 10 people shot and 2 dead in a shooting outside the Empire State building. Supposedly, it is a former employee who killed his boss or coworker that he had a grievance with.

Andersson

That is just horrible. I know NYC is know for crime just like LA is but this is getting down right nasty on the worst level I have seen in decades.

Foster

I just heard this on the news. It appears that not all of the people shot were hit by the shooter, some were shot by 'stray' bullets from the police.

JRDeep

Good thing is, none of those stray bullets took an innocent persons life. But you have to wonder if they could have taken the guy down without shooting like that with a crowd of people in the area.

FrankSinatra

The cops are damned if you, damned if you don't. They open fire and hit bystanders. They don't open fire and this guy takes out 10 more people before they can react.

Bear

From what I've read this guy wasn't really after innocent bystanders, but I don't find it at all shocking that the nine other victims were ALL shot by the cops. Every time we go to the range there is at least one cop there and most of the time they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun. I don't know how these guys manage to qualify every year.

Victor Leigh

I have also read about this as soon as the news broke. So far I have not read anything about the man shooting at anyone other than the person he killed. I seriously think the police need to re-assess the way they handle situations like this. This time no innocent bystanders were killed. Doesn't mean that innocent bystanders will be so lucky the next time.

polamalu43

I was in NYC when it happened. Hotel was on 40th street and it happened on 35th. At the time I was on a Gray Line bus - our first stop was the Empire State Building - of course we were redirected.

I have to tell you that I felt safe every minute I was in the city. There are security guards and police officers everywhere. This crazy man opened fire on an old co-worker. He was fired over a year ago. A year seems like a long time to hold a grudge. A construction worker followed him and alerted two officers. The guy turned and drew his weapon - the officers shot. Thankfully the other 8 people were not badly hurt.

FrankSinatra

And now a shooting in NJ at a Pathmark store. Crazy ex-Marine killed two employees then himself. Wow, people are seriously sick.

footballtim

I still maintain that if the punishments fit the crimes, it would send a better message than the one that this country is currently sending. I know it would not help in all cases because many times these pieces of garbage end up turning a gun on themselves, as was the case in Columbine in 1999.

I also do not think that the law should be any more lenient on teenagers who do this than it is on adults.

meowcow

I read about this when it happened. It's so sad that so many people are unhappy in America that they shoot people. I don't think it's about the gun laws at all. I see it more as a commentary on the lives of people. We should really try to find a way to show our fellow men and women how much we value them, then maybe even with problems or any outside events like economic downturns, they would still see a shed of hope. My prayer goes to all the families involved in shootings like this or the Batman theater shooting.