More than 5 kids?

Victor

I know a couple people with large families (5+ kids) and they seem to manage just fine without needing financial help, so I don't see it as irresponsible. I admire them, actually; there is no way I could deal with that many kids. I think 3 will be our upper limit.

Dad Brad

Five children sounds like a lot to me, but so do four. I don't know what the ideal family would be. My grandfather and grandmother had eight or nine children. They say my grandfather's parents had seventeen, and they all lived to be adults.

Hedonologist

A friend of mine has 8, a pen pal also has 8. I know 4 people with 6, and 6 people with 5.

Peronsally I would aim fro 4-8. 6 would probably be ideal, although the more the merrier.

BigDaddy

Lately everywhere I look there is a herd of kids! It seems like large families are making a comeback. I do find it odd with the state of the economy but hey I guess if mom and dad are unemployed what else are you gonna do when your home all day?

Ok this was a joke but I have seen more lately than ever before.

micromachne

I don't know anyone with more than 3 kids.

Having a big family is great. But ONLY if you can actually take care of the family. Because no, having a bunch of kids isn't a "great thing" if you can't man up to the responsibility of caring for all of them.

JRDeep

I don't know anyone with more than 3 kids who I can name off top. If I stopped and really thought about it, I could probably reference a few of my old grade school friends who were one of many in a big family. I would never be able to maintain my sanity with that many children in the house. I'd sleep with one eye open. No telling what they'd come up with as a way of having 'fun' when my guard is down. I came up with some stuff that was stressful for my folks. No doubt, my kids would surely top that if given the opportunity. lol

Niceness8000

I don't currently know anybody with more than three kids. My best friend comes from a family of 12 kids, and that was really hard. I don't think that in lieu of how modern society functions, families with large numbers of children are going to be common.

Hedonologist

I don't currently know anybody with more than three kids. My best friend comes from a family of 12 kids, and that was really hard. I don't think that in lieu of how modern society functions, families with large numbers of children are going to be common.
I suppose with the recession, families will grow larger. It is always the case, strange though because I thought it would work the other way around. I think having a large family ensure that your children can support each other better, and there will be mutual prosperity when they are older.

youngone

I would have many more kids if I was rich and had plenty of space. I wouldn't want more children on my current income because I wouldn't be able to afford it. I don't think it's fair when you have to scrape money together to feed your children.

daddyjay

I personally know one family with more than five kids. The father has a pretty good job. The mom works when it is needed. The kids all seem to be doing well and range in age from elementary school to grown with their own kids.

Hedonologist

Many countries in Europe now have sub-replacement fertility rates. It's good to see larger families are making somewhat of a comeback. Some countries like Japan and Spain will start to struggle soon, I hope those countries manage to reverse the decline.

footballtim

I came from a family of five kids. Even if one of them would not have been my evil middle sister, being a large family had many drawbacks.

That was way back when one income was enough. I wonder how much more problematic our family would have been if we were growing up now, and my mother would have had to work full time.

roncar

It's rare to for families these days to have more than 3 kids. It's just too expensive to raise them these days. But if you can afford it and have the patience, I say go for it.

meowcow

I know what you mean. I have been wondering where the big families are these days as well. I grew up in a household with 4 other kids and there was never a dull moment. I also would like to have that for my own family but I guess the economy isn't very forgiving nowadays.