My daughter wants her ears pierced!

DeputyDad

She doesn't ask for a whole lot and she's a pretty good kid. She does well in school and helps her mom without having to be nagged too much. We thought about it and decided we would allow it. Most of her girlfriends had theirs done years ago and we figured it would be better if we took her ourselves than to wait until it's too late and she ends up with a friend doing it. She's fourteen. She's growing up. :(

Victor

Fourteen is plenty old to take care of her ears herself after the piercing. My wife had her ears pierced at age six (I think) and was responsible for the aftercare. I'm glad you're allowing your daughter to do it and I'm sure she is too.

Andersson

As long as she can take care of it and she is responsible that is fine. As a teen I never mind when parents do this but when they try to pierce an infant I have to wonder how many noodles are in their noggin.

DeputyDad

I've seen a lot of tiny infants with pierced ears and it makes me cringe. I'd be afraid they would pull them out and swallow them.

Getting her ears pierced will make birthdays and Christmas shopping a lot easier. My wife said that my daughter will be needing earrings and a nice jewelry box. She said she's also going to need an earring tree, whatever that is!

Last edited:

BigPapa

I agree, 14 is plenty old enough to get her ears pierced. Just be glad it is just her ears that she wants pierced! It should make getting presents easier.

DeputyDad

No, we are definitely drawing the line at ears. No nose, lip, or eyebrow piercings. If she wants that, she will have to wait until she is legally an adult. Luckily, my daughter has expressed her opinion on that to my wife and she doesn't seem too interested. So far, so good.

Last edited:

Timeless

My daughter had her ears pierced when she was 14 and my wife took her. It was quick and painless. She was pretty diligent in cleaning them. One of her friends had an infection and she knows what could happen.