My oldest is going vegan

olderthandirt

My oldest has just informed me that she is going vegan. While I respect her right to choose to do this, I don't know diddly squat about feeding her now. I told her that I wasn't going to change how I cook for the family, but I would try to keep stuff in the house that she could use for her own meals. Now I have to do some research to find out what I should keep here for her!

polamalu43

Ask her what she wants to eat. I imagine that would be the easiest way to stock the house for her. Did she say why she was changing her eating habits?

Christian

I agree with polamalu, I would just ask her what she wants to eat and try to keep some of those things in the house for her to make meals from. What type of vegetarian diet is she following?

Victor

Veganism is hard. She'll also have to examine her clothes and toiletries for animal products, so those brands may change as well.

Many vegans have to take a supplement; I think it's B12 but I'm not sure.

Andersson

For a while we thought our daughter was turning vegan but it seems she just did not like certain meats. That might be the case here, how in depth has the conversation gone with your girl so far? Is she completely against animals?

olderthandirt

Oh, yes, she's completely against any use of animal products, even milk or eggs. She's almost 18, so I'm not planning on stocking up on anything we don't ordinarily buy, though. If she wants something too special, she's old enough to pay for it.

yabadoo

You have nothing to worry about. A vegan diet is very healthy if it is diverse enough. Vegans need to eat a lot of beans for protein, leafy greens for iron and calcium. Anyone with heart trouble should consider a vegan diet. Just make sure that your kid doesn't overload on the sweets or carbohydrates.

Andersson

You might want to let her know that it really does not stop there. I know many who eat vegan and still unwillingly will not give up certain products (like shampoo for example, those that test on animals).

olderthandirt

Ha! I worried about nothing, guys. She's already changed her mind about becoming a vegan. She decided that she would miss dairy and eggs too much, although she is still reducing the amount of meat she eats.

yabadoo

You might want to let her know that it really does not stop there. I know many who eat vegan and still unwillingly will not give up certain products (like shampoo for example, those that test on animals).
But she wouldn't be consuming the shampoo. It isn't her fault that people test the product on animals. It really has nothing to do with veganism. Vegans do not want to consume animal meat or animal by-products.

Victor

Well that didn't last too long. Reducing meat consumption, though, is generally healthy as long as she gets her proteins. It'll be easier for her to do so through dairy and eggs.

yabadoo

Well that didn't last too long. Reducing meat consumption, though, is generally healthy as long as she gets her proteins. It'll be easier for her to do so through dairy and eggs.
Meat has the weakest protein. Bananas, beans and nuts are the best source of strong proteins. Dairy and eggs will make her fat. And if she hasn't figured it out yet, eggs really are meat, just in liquid form.