My son's choice of girl friend

Blue44

I just found out that my 23 year old son is dating a married woman that he met at work. That is something I just can't handle. Of course he said she is having trouble with her husband, but I told him to stay away from her, at least while she is still married. Did I do the right thing? What if he doesn't stop seeing her?

DeputyDad

He's 23 so there isn't a whole lot you can do about making his choices for him. I understand why you aren't happy about it. He could potentially be putting himself in a dangerous situation. Hopefully it will all blow over and he'll move on pretty soon.

Victor

It is a precarious situation for him. Your advice was good but he is an adult and will follow his own path. All you can do is be there for him and hope for the best.

BigPapa

He is an adult and therefore entitled to make his own choices and mistakes. You can voice a preference, but ultimately he will make the decision he wants to. Just be careful that you aren't so vocal about it that you push him away.

Kenny

He's 23 and an adult, all you can do is voice your opinion and leave it alone. I don't think that I would have told him to stay away from her. Now if any problems do arise from the situation, an angry husband after him etc. he will feel as though he can't come to you about it.

DeputyDad

I think I would stress the point in the direction of dating someone he works with instead of dwelling on the married part of the situation, which is bad enough by itself.

It's never a good idea to get involved with a co-worker. If the relationship goes sour, you still have to see the person and it could cost him his job. How well does he like this job? That may be one way to reach him.

Bear

DeputyDad brings up a really good point. Just let the married part go and stress why it is a bad idea to date a co-worker regardless of their marital status. Many companies have policies that do not allow co-workers to date. They could both get fired for it.

olderthandirt

Assuming you raised him to believe that marriage is sacred and cheating is wrong, then I think you should step back and keep your thoughts to yourself. If he asks your opinion, then naturally, you should state how you feel and why, but otherwise, he's a grown man.

Blue44

All of you have given me some good ideas and advice. I did not think about the issue of starting a relationship with a co-worker. It is a valid point and one which I will pursue with my son a little bit. I also think that since he has been raised under my thinking and guidance, and since he is 23, he can make his own choices and should make them based on that guidance.