New baby with pets

baconore

For those who have a new baby, do you send a piece of clothing ahead of time so your pets can sniff it and get used to the baby smell? Did it help the pets accept the new addition?

Clay

I have heard that this works, but I have always had outdoor pets, when my kids were babies. What kind of pets do you have? I think some pets are good natured to small kids, while there are some pets you just need to avoid. We have an outside cat that is really good natured. My two year old daughter has pulled the cats ears and tail and has held it upside down while running, and the cat does not mind. It has never once hissed or clawed her. In fact, it runs to her when she comes outside. I am trying to teach her the proper way to treat a cat, but she is two so I am not sure it is sinking in.

Victor

I didn't try this, simply because the hospital isn't close to our house and it was impractical. Our cat didn't have any problems accepting the babies; she just made herself scarce for a few days.

Andersson

We never did this but I have heard about it before. For us we always had cats and they never bother the kiddies when they were tiny. We even heard the wives tale about mothers milk and either our cats are exception to that rule or we got very lucky.

Betterman

When my boy was born I took the hat he was wearing at the hospital home with me when I went to feed the cats, while my wife and him were still at the hospital. I let the cats smell it and it seemed to help when my wife and baby came home.

Victor Leigh

I can't really remember if I had done that. I think I was too busy looking after my baby to be looking after a pet at the same time. However, I will keep your tips in mind when I have another baby. Again.

Kina

For those who have a new baby, do you send a piece of clothing ahead of time so your pets can sniff it and get used to the baby smell? Did it help the pets accept the new addition?
I did this when my son was born. I have a Jack Russel mix and she is very hyper and territorial. I took a blanket from the hospital and put it in her crate.

I am not sure if that is what worked, but she stays relatively calm around the kid. She has grown protective of him just like she is of my wife.

meowcow

I have never heard of this method, but it certainly sounds like it makes sense. Whenever a new member of the family was introduced in our home, we just did it. I suppose it's because our pets aren't big dogs anyway so I guess I just never saw a need for it. But this is a great idea and I probably have some friends I can share this with. Thanks so much!

collin

I'd be careful of ANY animal around a young one. They all have a distant wild streak in them and even the tamest of cats, dogs or whatever you may have can lash out in jealousy or whatever emotion they may feel at the time when they are provoked. I grew up around dogs, horses, and have had tons of tame and wild cats from the woods that I have tamed (took 6 months often) and speaking strictly for the cats here, these wild cats I sort of tamed always retained a real wild streak... but they would trust me. They'd rub on me and lay on my lap, but would not for anyone else. And some of them were big and could be real nasty if they felt like it... but I know this is not the typicl tame cat, but even those retain some wild in them and you NEVER know for sure if or when they could lash out, so if they would be jealous (yes, they can get jealous) an they are angry at the baby getting attention they used to get... look out.

I don't think the life of a baby is anything to risk, so I say keep animals well away for a long time, til the children are a bit grown, maybe 2 years old or so (maybe sooner) depending on the situation ... but use caution no matter what. I've seen what angry cats and dogs can do. It isn't pretty when it's over.