NJ 5th-grader planned Columbine style massacre

olderthandirt

A 5th-grader! The child had a very 'elaborate' plan all laid out on his computer, complete with specific targets. You can read more here.

I brought this up mainly to ask everyone what they think of this type of thing and why it's happening? Also, what could you do to make sure your kid never thinks like this?

polamalu43

I wish I knew too. What a sad world we live in. Fifth graders aren't supposed to be thinking of killing others. I blame bullying! Something has to give and soon. I think we as parents need to be more involved too.

olderthandirt

I do believe exposure to violence can dull the response to it. It's not like when we were kids. Today kids see violence all over the media, the Internet, and even in games. I also think too many parents aren't teaching their kids that violence is wrong.

BigPapa

I think that too many parents are just vacant altogether. They let the TV and video games raise their children instead of doing it themselves. Whether it is bullying or increased exposure to violence, it all leads back to what they are being taught at home.

Andersson

It is very sad to think about but we do need to understand that in this country there are those who are troubled. Some at youth, some as teens and many as adults. We need to find better ways to find these people before they do harm and get them the help they need.

Timeless

A 5th grader shouldn't even be thinking of planning something so horrible. I really don't understand how a child can do something like this. Were the parents not aware of any problems?

Christian

Where are the parents in all of this? Why was a fifth grader allowed unrestricted access to a computer, and an even better question were there any guns in this child's home? If so, how well secured were they? No parent, ever wants to admit that their child might have a problem, but if you think there is even a chance that they are unstable why wouldn't you try to get them some help?