Not respecting our wishes

Bear

We have an issue where several family members do not respect our wishes regarding what we tell our children about Santa Claus. We choose to tell our kids that he is not real and that their presents come from mom and dad.

At Thanksgiving multiple people asked my kids what Santa was going to bring them. my kids laughed and said Santa isn't real silly. The relatives then proceeded to tell my kids that if they didn't believe in Santa they must be very naughty and if they don't believe in Santa they wouldn't get any presents at all. My oldest is four and my youngest is two and they were seriously upset about this.

Karter

I don't understand why they wouldn't respect your wishes. Were there other children there? Maybe those children still believe in Santa? If there were no other children there I think it's insensitive of the adults to make your children feel like are doing something wrong by not believing.

Timothy

When you think about it, it's actually really messed up to lie to a kid like that. You're telling them that something is wrong with them because they don't believe in something that's not even real to begin with. I know a lot of parents use Santa as a way to control their kids ("If you don't act right, Santa won't bring you anything!") but still, it's a reflection of poor parenting. Kudos to you for choosing to be honest with your kids about Santa.

Victor

I hope you spoke up when that relative overstepped (in private if other children were present). That was seriously not cool.

We enjoy the Santa myth so our kids believe, but we do not use Santa as behavior control. I don't want the kids growing up to think kids who don't get gifts from Santa (e.g. Jewish friends) are naughty. Besides, we know we'd get gifts for the kids anyway even if they were difficult the entire month of December, so it's an empty threat.

Andersson

I think if that happened to me I would be upset over it. Not just for the fact that they are disrespecting our wishes but because then it turns into a big deal for all of the kids too. Who wants that drama around the holidays?

DeputyDad

Ah, I see the Santa debate continues over here. I'm glad. It's something that should be discussed. I, too, think it is wrong to lie to the kids about something like this. They should know that their parents provide for them and not some magical elf from somewhere really, really cold. Speaking of that, Timothy said:

When you think about it, it's actually really messed up to lie to a kid like that. You're telling them that something is wrong with them because they don't believe in something that's not even real to begin with. I know a lot of parents use Santa as a way to control their kids ("If you don't act right, Santa won't bring you anything!") but still, it's a reflection of poor parenting. Kudos to you for choosing to be honest with your kids about Santa.
This is just for laughs, so don't anyone get all excited, but do you notice that if you change the letters around in Santa, you get Satan? People use both of these character to control their children and keep them from being naughty. One gives rewards, one punishes. One lives somewhere very, very cold, and one lives where it is very, very hot. I prefer not to scare children with either of these things. :)

Bear

I am glad that I am not the only one that thinks there is something wrong with this. There were other children present, but not in the room at the the time. My oldest is about to turn five so they should all know where we stand on the Santa issue by now.

Timothy, those were my thoughts exactly!

SingleDadNow

Wow. I would be furious if someone told my kid something like that. That is seriously messed up. I hope that you said something to them. If you didn't, you could still send an email or something letting them know that was not ok in any way, and you won't let your kids be hurt by them over a fantasy.

Bear

Fortunately, over Christmas no one brought Santa up at all. I kind of went off to my mother about it because I was upset and I think she might have spread the word. :)

Sinbian

Good for you to tell your children the truth, I admire that. To me this is not a selfish thing but reasonable. That Santa worship cult can kiss your butt. :)

DeputyDad

Some people have a lot of nerve. I don't know if it is because they don't think things through before opening their mouths or if they just don't care.

Bear

I am not sure which it is is either, but I am not going to let anyone make my kids feel bad about Christmas. I don't have a problem with the Santa myth, we just choose not to go that route with our kids.