OMG I'm Going To Hurt Somone!

Chrisitan

I found my seven year old applying eyeshadow to her little eyelids today. The bad thing was it was "her" eyeshadow that one of her friend's Mom gave her as a gift when she went shopping with them. Who gives eyeshadow to a seven year old girl anyway?? I've calmed down a bit and I have discussed this with my wife and we talked to our daughter about our house rules and our expectations about behavior in our house. We have very definite ideas about our kids won't be allowed to grow up too fast and makeup and such are part of that. The scary thing is her little friend already wears makeup and questionable clothing at this age. We were already leery of our child being friends with this child but now we are discussing whether she will be allowed to even go to the child's house even for a daytime visit. I may be a bit old fashioned, but I want my daughter, son and the next child to have a childhood.

polamalu43

Wow! Okay that is pretty young for make-up. I would not allow it either. I would call her friends mom and talk to her. Maybe you should just let the friend come to your house instead of your daughter going there.

Timothy

My wife wasn't allowed to wear make-up until she was about halfway through high school and we decided that we'd have the same rules in our house if we ever had a daughter. I can't imagine what goes through a parent's mind to convince them that a 7 year-old needs make-up, or that it's appropriate in any way! Make-up is meant to make a woman's face more sexually attractive; what 7 year old needs that?!

On The Mark

I'm on board with you too Christian, 7 is way too young for this. Being a child sometimes means "playing grown-up" but that's not what things like this are about.

Victor

I'm ok with little girls putting on makeup to play with it in the house. My three year old has worn eye shadow before; my wife was putting it on herself and she asked, so my wife swiped a bit on her. However, neither of us would let our girls leave the house wearing any kind of makeup until they are much older.

olderthandirt

Before you decide to not allow her at her friend's house, maybe you could try talking about your rules and expectations with her friend's parents? If they don't follow what you say, then I would not let your daughter go over, but maybe they would listen.

BigPapa

7 years old is definitely too young for makeup! I don't know what some people are thinking. It's like letting your kids wear inappropriate clothing or watch shows that are geared toward adults. I just don't get it. Their theory is usually "their friends do it, so I might as well let them do it".

Chrisitan

We have talked to the mother and she has apologized for the gaff. She says she doesn't mind if her little girl "dresses up", but then she allows her to go out that way. I have a feeling this little girl is going to be in trouble before she gets out of her teens. I can't say my daughter will be perfect, but at least her mother and I will have tried our best.

John

There is a difference between playing dress-up and going out in public wearing make-up meant to attract and entice. As long as the child is playing at home, I don't see any harm in putting on Mama's high heels, fancy hats, ropes of beads and perhaps a little eye shadow or lipstick. The child is pretending, after all.

Chrisitan

John-I quite agree. Dress-up play is one thing, but to encourage a grown up look on a youngster is another. I have no idea why someone would want their child to be so grown up so early in life. They certainly grow up quickly enough without having them to grow up quicker. That just isn't happening in my house.

Andersson

I remember our girl getting into her mom's makeup at that age, but it only happened once or twice. I would be shocked if my mother did that or anyone else, that seems like a bit over the top!

Chrisitan

@Andersson- That's what I thought. I don't mind my baby playing while she's at our house, that's the way kids learn. But to allow them to sexualize themselves at this age is just wrong. Of course they don't understand what they are doing, but the mom certainly does. My sisters weren't allowed out of the house in makeup until they were 16 and then it had to be a light makeup and not caked on.

Blue44

I agree with the consensus opinion. At seven years old I'm not sure my little girl would even know there was such a thing as eye shadow. Of course children learn most of the stuff you don't want them to learn about from other children. This won't be easy, because your daughter's friends' parents apparently don't think there is anything wrong with seven year girls wearing makeup in public, but you should talk with them and let them know your rules for your daughter and ask them to support you in your efforts to raise her the way you think is best.

yabadoo

That is terrible news. Seriously. I don't think women should wear makeup. When little girls put it on, it drives me insane. It's part of why I married a hippie. We can't have these girls objectifying themselves all day with makeup and clothing. They need to have more depth than that.

Kenny

I don't think I would take it that far Yabadoo, some women enjoy wearing make-up. My wife probably only wear make-up three or four times a year, but every once in awhile she will put some on our daughter when they are playing "beauty shop".

DeputyDad

I think this may be blown out of proportion. A girl that age doesn't know anything about sexualizing her appearance. She's just playing and acting like Mommy. We seem to encourage this when we buy them Barbie dolls and then overreact when they want to dress themselves up. I think it's all a natural part of growing up and no different than little boys putting on Superhero capes and cowboy hats. I think it may send a bad message to focus on this too much. Let them play at home and wash their face before they leave the house.

SingleDadNow

No, I wouldn't be mad at the daughter, but I sure as heck would be mad at that mom! My daughter went to a Brownie (Girl Scouts) meeting once, and the featured speaker was a Mary Kay mom, who not only put makeup on them, but made sure to make personal recommendations to each child, and sent them home with an order form! It just really crosses the line, when other people think that it is ok to introduce things like this to YOUR kid!