Puzzling and Annoying Sleep Habit

Victor

My 18 month old keeps waking at 4:30 am. She used to sleep until 6 am, when she would wake to nurse, but now nothing makes her happy until I bring her to my wife to nurse. My wife can't sleep while my daughter nurses, so she won't let me bring my daughter in until 5 am and then my wife is usually up until 6 am, at which point she gets up and goes to work. It's wearing both of us out. I've tried walking my daughter, rocking her, bringing her water or milk (she refuses both) and she just stays awake until I take her to my wife. This was true even when I tried to make it until 6 am. We just can't figure out what's behind this sudden and annoying habit but it needs to stop.

Zimmer

Unfortunately that's the thing with newborns, they do everything their way for no apparent reason. I'd also like to add that you shouldn't let her cry too much, she can get a hernia.

On The Mark

I think the only thing you can do is try to make the best of it somehow. As inconvenient as it is for you, the baby has no say in when it is waking up either.

Victor

That's true, On the Mark. The past few nights, fortunately, she's gone back to sleep within thirty minutes so it's gotten better. Whatever was bothering her appears to be less of an issue now.

Sinbian

I think your baby is too young to try to put it on a strict schedule. Like Zimmer said, in that age they do everything their way for no apparent reason.

Blue44

You probably can't set a strict schedule, but if you are sure that your baby girl is not hurt or sick you should let her cry a little and learn that you aren't going to jump every time she whimpers. It's hard to do, but you won't get any rest unless you do it. I had a similar problem with my first son. He wore us out because we wouldn't let him cry himself to sleep.