Salt

Timothy

I love salt, but my wife's been on me lately to cut down on it. She says it raises your blood pressure and with a history of high blood pressure in my family, she says I'm pushing my luck by salting everything I eat. Is it really this big of a deal? I'm not overweight or anything. What are the odds my blood pressure is high?

Sinbian

You can be thin and still have serious problems with pressure and cholesterol. You should cut salt a bit just so see how your body would react.

stewy

I also like my food to be pretty salty and I've tried low salt products, but always go back to salty. Have you measured your blood pressure? If it's normal then I wouldn't worry. Mine is, so I figure my body is taking in just what it needs and no more. Too little salt is just as bad for you!

BigPapa

Heart disease does not only affect the overweight. If you have a family history then yes you are taking unnecessary risks. You can kick up the flavors in your food by using herbs and spices instead of salt.

Timothy

Well I hate the thought of giving up salt but I guess I could try some of the low sodium salt. Anyone know where I can get my blood pressure checked at? I don't have general medical yet so don't really want to spend a ton of money at the doctor when nothing is wrong.

CHenne

Go to the doctor and have your blood pressure tested. If it is high that should get you to stop eating so much salt. So many foods have a ton of salt already in them.

Andersson

I have my salty moments but far less than I did years ago. Now I only put it on a few things like my eggs in the morning. Salt is one of those things that you can overdo it without even noticing sometimes.

Victor

I prefer the taste of less salt and it's still easy to go over my sodium allotment for the day. You are probably eating a great deal more salt than you think you are. Try cutting down gradually and using other spices to flavor your foods until you are used to less salt.

Many pharmacies have blood pressure machines so you can get readings there without paying for a doctor.