Saving for big ticket items

Dad Brad

My daughter has been asking for a big ticket item since the summer. It's expensive, so we told her it cost too much to just go buy. She has a birthday coming up and then there is Christmas. How old is old enough to give her money for birthday and Christmas so she can save up for her more expensive item?

Andersson

Why can she not help out around the house and earn some of what she wants to spend? I think there is a big difference between earning and just getting gifts (of any price, especially high priced ones) because you "deserve" them. It is nice to get a birthday or holiday gift but nothing in the handbook states they have to have a high priced item.

Dad Brad

She does have a list of chores that are her responsibility around the house. We don't pay her for those because they are her job. She is earning a little extra by doing some more work, or even for doing a little of my work. I was just wondering about how young to start children doing this.

Lorenzo

How old is old enough to give her money for birthday and Christmas so she can save up for her more expensive item?
I think it's okay to start gifting them money when they're old enough (like 10 years old) to know it's value.

My daughters are 15, 10 and eight. We don't give them money as "gifts" on special occasions like birthdays and Christmas, however, other people do (like other family members and their godparents). Half of the amount of these "gifts" automatically go to their savings account, while the other half, they can spend on whatever they like.

CHenne

I see nothing wrong with giving her money or even a gift card (to the store where the item is). This way she can add some of her money to it and then buy it. This will teach her that you have to earn and save for things you want. How old is she?