School?

Jessie

My son will be 4 in September and the ex wants to put him in preschool. I think it is too early for this and that would mean I would lose week on week off custody. Any idea of when a good time to start school is?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
My daughter started going to the "school" starting the beginning of this year. She is two. I say school in quotes because it is a Montessori school, but they accept children for daycare too. They do teach her, and she has actually learned more then I thought she would at that age.

If he is 4, he may go to VPK. Florida will actually pay for children to go to VPK. If not, you can write off the daycare expenses.

Caleb

I think 4 is a great age to start pre-school. It's good for kids to start early and be around other kids. I think kids who go to pre-school excel more in school. Let him go.

Jessie

Thank you both for your comments and advice. I would have no problem letting him go to school if he was with me most the time. I am going to lose custody of him as we have 7days with me 7 days with my ex custody right now. So now if he goes to school I will only see him 48 hours every other weekend. We live almost 2 hours from each other so their is no way to get my one day during the week. Just makes me sad.

greatdad

It's understandable that you don't want to lose the time that you spend with your son, but attending preschool prepares them for kindergarten, both academically and socially. Besides, if the right preschool is selected, he'll have lots of fun while learning what he'll need to know.

MilwaukeeJoe

I have to agree with greatdad. These days, kids are expected to know so much before they get to kindergarten. My 4 year old was learning to read in pre-school. It's tough losing time with him, but pre-school is almost a must as I see it.