Shoulder pain from holding the mouse all day?

popsmcnitt

Am I the only one who has shoulder pains from using the mouse and keyboard all day? I'm on the computer for eight hours a day at work and I use my laptop at home for another two or three hours after work. Does you shoulder also get sore from using the mouse and typing? How do you remedy it?

olderthandirt

You probably aren't using the right posture for typing. Your keyboard and mouse should be at roughly waist level, so your hands are out at about 90 degrees from your body. Make sure your monitor is at the right height that you don't have to look up or down at it - it should be at eye level.

popsmcnitt

Thanks, olderthandirt. My desk is much higher than waist level so I have to raise my arm up to around my lower chest area in order to operate the mouse. I doubt they'll give me a new desk though :(. My monitor is beneath eye level but not by much. I guess I could put some books beneath it in order to put it at exactly eye level.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
My elbow gets to me more then my shoulder. But my shoulders do tighten up when I'm on the computer for too long.

Timeless

We had to get new chairs at work because all three of us were developing back problems from sitting and working on a computer all day. I've learned to get up often and walk for a few minutes in to stretch muscles.

yabadoo

My shoulder kills me. And my neck too. It has to be from sitting in a chair for most of the day. I envy my kids! Timeless, maybe I should look into a new chair.

Andersson

Think about the type of computer setup you have. Most of the time something is out of alignment. How high is your desk, your chair? Is everything on the desk or in one of those under the desk mounts?

yabadoo

Think about the type of computer setup you have. Most of the time something is out of alignment. How high is your desk, your chair? Is everything on the desk or in one of those under the desk mounts?
My desk is about up to my mid-section. My chair is the normal height for an office chair. I'm not sure what an under the desk mount is. I've started doing wrist, finger and shoulder exercises to stimulate blood flow. I just don't think humans were meant to sit still for 8 hours a day while staring into screens.