Shoving

Victor

My 3 year old shoved me earlier today. I told her firmly to stop but she kept doing it, so it wasn't long before I saw red. Fortunately a quick timeout and a talk afterwards seemed to take care of the problem, at least for now.

danno

It may be something that she has seen on TV, or one of her friends may have done this to her. With my son, a conversation about the reasons why we do what we do, and why we shouldn't do some things, was enough to point him away from such unsocial behavior so hopefully, that will work for you too.

Sinbian

Such behaviors are probably seen somewhere, either on TV or from other children. I know my kids did a lot of annoying stuff. But you have to react quickly and put an end to it like you did.

olderthandirt

This is actually perfectly normal behavior for a three-year-old, or most toddlers, at least. Once they learn that you won't tolerate it, the behavior will go away. You need to take steps the very first time and not let it happen more than once, though.

Victor

Danno, you are fortunate that your child stopped with a simple conversation. I prefer to stick with conversations about empathy and managing emotions when I can, but my oldest daughter is extremely strong-willed and also gets carried away (as kids do). I frequently end up having to get her attention in some way, such as a short time out, before she will truly listen to the conversation.