Sisters/Wife

ChristopherT

My wife only likes one of my sisters and I have 3 so she ends up inviting the one sister to visit (we live in a different state from all three of them) and I don't get to see the others very often. How can I convince her that we need to travel more often?

Luke

Just tell her that it's important to you to keep in contact with your family. I assume you keep in contact with hers? Is there any particular reason she doesn't want to visit?

2andalone

I understand not getting along with every family member. Do the other sisters show any interest in visiting? Maybe invite them over to your house, where your wife feels comfortable. If she doesn't want to visit them, you can always make a trip on your own.

ChristopherT

My whole family lives in another state. Her family lives 10 minutes away. Everything revolves around her family. It was a war just to spend a Thanksgiving with my family for a change--forget Christmas.

My other two sisters aren't made to feel welcome so they don't come.

youngdad

That is very unfair. Does she have a reason for not liking your other two sisters? It really doesn't matter. They're your sisters and your wife is wrong to make them feel unwelcome.

2andalone

Some people just don't get along and you can't force it if it's not going to work. Is it possible you can visit them on your own, maybe take the kids? It's up to you to keep the balance with your personal relationship with your family.

ChristopherT

I know it's up to me but sometimes it's just not worth the amount of whining and comments I'd have to hear about ....forever. (or at least until the next time I screw up)

GranddadHoward

I wouldn't put up with that. It's okay that your wife doesn't like you sisters, but the way she is handling it is childish. Your wife is manipulating the situation (and you). I think you should sit her down and tell her that enough is enough. I'd tell her that I'm going to see my sisters and she's going to have to stop complaining and whining about it.

2andalone

Is there a specific reason why she doesn't want to be around the other sisters? I can imagine she has a point if there is a good reason for it but without knowing the details it's hard to say if the wife really just needs to settle down or if it's a matter where she is seriously uncomfortable.

ChristopherT

Neither of the two sisters work-one is a stay-at-home mom and the other one has arthritis so my spoiled wife only looks up to the sister that works. I think it's because she's way younger than her 3 sisters and is used to getting/wanting others' approval. All 3 of my sisters are older than she is though.

Sinbian

My wife adores my sister and vice versa. They became best friends when I introduced them to each other back when we were dating. Although it may sound great it's not always peachy because sometimes they team up against me.

2andalone

Neither of the two sisters work-one is a stay-at-home mom and the other one has arthritis so my spoiled wife only looks up to the sister that works. I think it's because she's way younger than her 3 sisters and is used to getting/wanting others' approval. All 3 of my sisters are older than she is though.
Yikes, it sounds like there is a lot going on there. I say just deal with whatever griping you get if it's important to you and go see the sisters on your own. If you really want a relationship with your sisters then your wife's complaints shouldn't stop you, but I feel that if you are in a marriage it is always 50/50. I would always put the wife's comfort first to keep a marriage happy. If she's not comfortable with it, that's that.

ChristopherT

Part of the problem is my wife's insecurities about my ex-fiancee. My sisters got really close to her and even though she was in my sister's wedding (the one she likes) she doesn't feel like she'll ever measure up.