Slate.com: Santa and Jesus not white?

BigPapa

Slate.com published an article last week about how the modern world views both Santa and Jesus. Fox news decided they had to respond with this bit of ridiculousness, wherein host Megyn Kelly states: "Santa just is white". She also went on to say that Jesus is as well. It is funny because for one, Santa Claus is a fictional character (and based upon a Greek saint) and Jesus was a Palestinian Jew. Neither ethnic group is considered white.

Victor

Megyn Kelly is just ethnocentric. This is a real shocker, coming from a Fox News anchor, let me tell you.

I'm not sure I agree that Greek isn't white, but really I don't care either way. I think Santa can be any ethnicity, and of course Jesus was Jewish.

Andersson

I am not religious by any means but I believe people have the right to belief what they want. This includes of Jesus (or Santa) are white, black, purple or pink. Being on the air she should have known better too, quite offensive to many people.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
It is funny because for one, Santa Claus is a fictional character (and based upon a Greek saint).
Today's Santa is biased on many different myths, legends, historical and folkloric origins. Yes Saint Nicholas played a role, mostly in name. However, there are many parts of Santa that can be traced back before Christianity. Some of those include Odin. An old Scandinavian folklore was also revised to make the modern Santa. The Dutch Folklore of Sinterklaas plays a large role but some say he is biased off of Saint Nicholas. The English father Christmas was also adapted.

To say Santa is any one ethnicity I think is wrong as he comes from many.