So cold out - the money is going out the window

polamalu43

Do you think things like this? It has been so cold this past week. I'm thankful we heat with a wood stove as our main heat source. I hear people complaining all over the place though. They are all talking about their electric, propane or fuel oil bills. I can't blame them. It's been hard keeping our house warm so I can't imagine what this weather is going to cost them to keep theirs warm.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Come to Florida. I've been in shorts and t-shirts most of the month. A few cold mornings but otherwise warm.

Justadad

We have oil fired central heating and it's pretty expensive, but I'm glad we had double glazed windows and doors put in a few years ago. They have really made a difference compared to our old wooden ones.

Bearsfan

Really, our weather has not been that awful. I do not like Winter in the least, but we've only had about 6 inches of snow, have yet to see temps below zero, and it's already February. We still have a couple of months before we're out of the danger zone, but I can't complain.

polamalu43

Florida - no way! I love the snow. I am just smarter than some and heat with wood. I cut my own wood too so the only cost is gas to run the chainsaws and wood splitter.

Zimmer

We heat with propane and I can't say that I'm worse off than my neighbors. The trick is to properly insulate your home, otherwise you are throwing money out the window regardless of the heat source.

Timothy

My grandparents used to own a cabin in the mountains that was heated with a wood burning stove, but my wife and I rely on central heat these days. Sometimes I wish we had a wood burning stove!