Stalking?

erin

I was talking to a friend the other day and she said my ex-bf of two years knows a lot of information about me. I don't know what's happened in his life to make me his focus now but I think he's hacked into my hotmail account where I send confirmation emails to message boards I post on. I find one I like and get bored after a few months and go onto a new one. I didn't bother calling the police and I certainly haven't told my husband but that would be considered stalking right? I've shut down the email and hopefully that will be the end of it but knowing he can read whatever I write is very creepy.

Peyton

The fact that he is keeping tabs on you is definitely not good. It may never escalate to more than email hacking, but I think you really should tell your husband. My wife's ex husband is a stalker so we take things like this very seriously in our house.

wilson

Last time I checked I think you can press charges for the Hotmail deal, unsure how you would prove it. I am guessing the cops would need a warrant to get his ISP able and willing to help turn over logs of his account.

benben

Honestly, I would tell your husband. You never know how far this guy would go. Telling your husband can help keep you safe. You need someone in your real life to look out for you.

Bear

I don't think you should hide this from your husband or your family for that matter. Not to scare you, but for all you know it has escalated beyond that and he's watching you or something. it is very easy to get information about people these days. If you are willing to pay for it you can get everything you need about a person: tax returns, social security number, home address, cell number, place of employment. I would also go to the cops about the hacking because 1) it IS illegal, and 2) you have something on record with law enforcement if anything more happens.

Thompson

I agree with everyone else, and say that you should definitely discuss this with your husband. What if you were to just disappear one day? He wouldn't even have any idea that this had been a problem.

erin

Thanks you guys. I did talk to my husband and he decided it would be best it we consult a lawyer to see what our options are. I have more to lose than before so I need to keep this butthead out of our lives.

bighelp

I am not sure if its still the same but I know a few years ago stalking laws varied between different cities/states. You might be able to get a lawyer who can get you updated on the current laws and advise you want is best (without hiring him/her long term).

Johnson

I am very glad to hear that you let your husband know what is going on. Hopefully, a lawyer will be able to steer you in the right direction on this.