Switching Beds & Talking

Victor

Our girls share a room and recently have started waking up in the middle of the night to chat and switch beds. This is better than crying and coming to find us as they usually did. I've been going in to remind them that night time is for sleeping, but I'm starting to wonder if I should just stay out of it unless they get upset. What do you think?

Karter

I think it would depend on whether it is waking you up at night. Does it interrupt your sleep or your wife's sleep? I wonder why they switch beds, did you ask them?

Sinbian

Kids love to do out of the ordinary stuff. Sometimes we need to let them organize their free time on their own. Of course you should set some boundaries in case those activities interrupt normal schedule and obligations.

Victor

Yes, it wakes us up, or else we wouldn't know about it. I can go back to sleep if my wife goes in, but usually I'm the one going in. I haven't yet asked them why they do it; we don't always get real answers from them yet. ;)

Timothy

Does their waking up in the night seem to affect them during the day? If not, I'd say it's probably not something that you have to go in and see about every night. Plus, it's probably just a phase that it'll work itself out in time.

DeputyDad

How old are your daughters, Victor? If they are old enough to understand and remember, maybe you can talk to them about how if they wake up at night they should be quiet as mice so everyone else can still sleep. More importantly, so that they don't wake each other up! You've probably already tried that.

Maybe question them about their beds. It could be one of the girls gets uncomfortable and wakes up and they switch.

Victor

They are only 4 & 2, and it definitely affects them during the day. Yesterday one got up at 4 am and the other at 5:30 am. That is just too early, especially since I ended up having to go in and never got back to sleep. Then they end up taking longer naps during the day. We do tell them that night time is for sleeping and they need to be quiet but it hasn't worked yet. We'll keep talking to them and hope it's just a phase.

DeputyDad

Oh, they are just babies yet. :)

It's pretty normal actually. When mine were little they would wake up very early like that and come into our room and want to get into bed. The thing was, they just were no longer sleepy. We started keeping them up later in the evening and tried to keep them from napping (if possible) so they'd sleep through the night.