Take care of your back!

Bear

Friday night my wife had to call an ambulance to take me to the ER because my back was so messed up that I couldn't walk, sit up, or stand. I thought I had simply pulled a muscle in my back last weekend, but this was so much worse than that. I have never been in such excruciating pain in my entire life. I literally screamed into a pillow for about 7 hours every time I moved before I finally gave in.

As soon as I am feeling better I am hopping right back on the treadmill and the weight bench. I do not ever want to be in this position again!

Timothy

Sorry to hear this, Bear! My wife was in a similar position not too long ago. She was too stubborn to let me call an ambulance for her though, so I had to call a friend over and the two of us had to carry her out to the car. She cried for hours on end before finally giving in and seeing a doctor about it. He told her to start doing exercises and stretches specifically for the lower back and she's been doing them ever since.

Bear

Thanks Timothy! I am going to the chiropractor today to see if I can get some more relief. I really didn't want to go either, especially since we don't have insurance, but in the end there was no other choice.

polamalu43

I hope you feel better soon! Your back is so important that you need to keep it strong. I do back exercises all the time. I once had problems with my back too and I don't want that problem again. Wall sits were my favorite back exercise.

Victor

I am sorry you had to deal with such bad back pain. I hope the chiropractor helps you. You may also want to look into yoga. It is good for flexibility and for strengthening the core, including the back.

Sinbian

Wow, sorry to hear about that. I had a pretty bad back injury and I understand exactly how you feel. As soon as you get better get on that treadmill.

Bear

The chiropractor has really helped and it turns out I had a bulging L5 disc that was pushing on my sciatic nerve. I have to go to the chiropractor for at least one more week, and he already has me walking for ten minutes out of every hour and doing exercises to start strengthening the muscles. I am seriously considering finding a yoga class too.

BigPapa

The best thing you can do for your back is to strengthen your core muscles. They are what supports your back. I would limit the weight bench for a bit and instead work on some pilates or yoga. I know it sounds girly, but it really does work for strengthening your back muscles and it is not as hard on your body.

Sinbian

That's why stretching rules when it comes to recovery. You prepare joints to endure larger amplitudes which results in greater mobility and therefore increase in strength.

Bear

I will be heading back to the chiropractor this afternoon and we will see what he has to say. I am hoping that he will say I can start being on my feet longer now.

Andersson

One friend that my son works with tossed his back up and down the creek this week fishing and now he is paying for it. We heard he is going to his first back doctor and he just turned 30 last week. It can happen to anyone, at any age.

On The Mark

That's true, no one is bulletproof. An injury early in your life can come back to haunt you later. You might think you're 100% after some treatment, but your back never forgets.