Teachers

Timeless

My daughter is complaining about a teacher in one of her classes. It's a design technology class and the students are to design a floor plan of a house. She designed a floor plan she liked and I have seen it. It's not bad, looks like a good structured house. She is saying he wants her to change things, like put a regular door instead of sliding door. Every day he tells her she should change something. The drawing is her idea not his and this makes her really angry with him. Should I say something to him or let her deal with him?

Christian

Well, how old is your daughter first of all? Where the students given specific requirements for what the floor plan must include? My first instinct is to tell you to let her work it out. What if it was a job? She would have to please not only her boss, but the client who had ordered the floor plan. In that regard, it is excellent practice for the "real world".

Andersson

I would protest it myself but I am somewhat of a rebel in my old age. Was she told it had to meet specific requirements? If not, protest it!

olderthandirt

Is this really worth fighting a teacher about? Sometimes kids have to learn that you have to compromise with an authority figure to get by. I'm not talking compromising on important stuff, like morals, but is this really something to take a stand on? She will have to deal with that teacher for the rest of the year.

Bear

This is definitely not worth going to the teacher over. If she is not happy with what he is asking her to do then she should respectfully tell him so. Maybe they can find a compromise!

Timeless

She's in grade 12. Yes, for the floor plan she was given specific things to include, which she did. The teacher is talking about other things she has designed on the floor plan. They were to come up with their own ideas for a floor plan to make the house their own.

I've stepped away from it for now and I am letting her deal with it. She's usually very good at making people agree with her. She's showing him the pros of doing it her way versus the way he wants.

Victor

Yes, I think I'd stay out of it too. It must be frustrating for her but it's a good experience to try and iron out wrinkles in an assignment; it won't be the last time she has to deal with unspoken requirements or hashing out different ideas.

Kenny

If she is a Senior in high school then she certainly ought to be able to figure this out on her own. As a few other posters mentioned it is excellent practice for when she has a boss.

Andersson

I don't think you need to get in the middle of it but she should stand her ground. Some teachers are quite picky and we had a few when my kids were in school. One was horrible though I swear she only became a teacher to make everyone else miserable.