That whole Santa Claus thing

DeputyDad

I'm curious how other people have handled the Santa Claus part of Christmas. My kids are older now so it's no longer an issue. We never really encouraged it, or even discouraged it, when the kids were little. We always treated it more like anyone could be Santa if they are kind and giving and generous. We never put presents under the tree and said they were "from" Santa. We explained that the many Santas they see at the malls were part of Christmas "fun". I don't know if this was right or wrong, but it worked for us.

SingleDadNow

We said that Santa is a fun thing to pretend about, like Winnie the Pooh, or Mickey Mouse, but that Jesus was real, and the reason for Christmas. Santa was modeled after a real man, but is not real, the way he is portrayed. We have done our best, however, to prevent our kids from spilling the beans, and telling any other kids the truth.

Victor

We are going along with the Santa myth for now and the kids enjoy it. They are too little to question, but when they do, we will explain that Santa is really the spirit of giving.

DeputyDad

It just seems to me, if handled incorrectly, it becomes about greed with kids wondering what Santa can do for them rather than what they could be doing for others. My feelings on the matter have probably been influenced a lot by some of the bratty children I've been seeing these days. My brother's kids are awful!

Karter

We went with Santa is real, because I enjoyed it when I was younger and it gets them excited. I don't see the harm in it.

Bear

We don't do Santa at our house, we just tell the kids that Santa is pretend, or a man in a costume. My four year old is a real talker and I am afraid that she is going to spill the beans to some other kids this year but we are trying to prevent that.

CHenne

We always did Santa at our home. Santa is magical so I wouldn't want our kids to not participate in the magic. Our kids now know that Santa is the act of giving to others. That is why we donate to other kids. The kids consider themselves to be Santa now.

BestDaddyEver

We still continue to tell our daughter that Santa is real. Of course, when she stops believing, we will tell her the truth, but for right now, it is a lot of fun for her. She really enjoys it.