Thinking from the kids perspective

Samuel

When I was a kid myself, I told myself several things that I would do differently from my own parents. Now that I am a parent myself, I can't seem to remember a lot of things I said I would do differently. How can I think from my kids' perspective?

papabear

Put yourself in their shoes. Remember back when you were as old as they are now. And always remember that a child's perspective is priceless.

BigJohn

I think just listening to what your kids are saying is the first step. That only gets me so far though. Just a few days ago, I had to resort to, "Because I said so!!!"

KSmith

I agree with Big John. Listening to kids is the first step to understanding them. I think a habit of talking to them and listening to what they have to say, especially if they've done something that you don't approve of, will go further to understanding them than anything else you can do.

matt456

Some things that happen to us as kids remain embedded in our minds until we become parents. It would not hurt to for a moment to picture yourself as a small child. What then would you consider should have been done differently?