Too Much Screen Time Can Threaten Attention Span

jason

Administrator
Staff member
MONDAY, July 5 (HealthDay News) -- Too much time spent watching television and playing video games can double the risk of attention problems in children and young adults, new research finds.

The study is the latest of many to point out the ill effects of excessive screen time, whether at the computer or the television.
Researcher Edward Swing, a graduate student at Iowa State University, compared participants who watched TV or played video games less than two hours a day -- the recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics for children aged 2 and older -- to those who watched more.
"Those who exceeded the AAP recommendation were about 1.6 times to 2.2 times more likely to have greater than average attention problems," he said.
The middle schoolers he studied were a little less likely than the college students to have attention problems with excess TV and video game participation.
The study is published in the July issue of Pediatrics.

more Too Much Screen Time Can Threaten Attention Span - US News and World Report

Kenny

Good to know. I know we do leave the tv on too much although my daughter doesn't seem to pay too much attention to it. Guess we will have to do better.

Kevin

My wife hates the darn thing. She calls it the idiot box. I must admit I do use it to fill in the gaps when I have to take care of household chores or just catch a break.

DaddyBob

We have limited our TV time since the kids started to notice the TV. LOL

When the kids are in school they are limited only to an hour or so a day and ONLY after they do their homework.

Seven

It makes sense to me. T.V.shows are made to only catch your attention for a short period of time, and commercials are even worse. A book is much better in my opinion.