Toy Pick Up Frequency

Victor

How often do you make the kids pick up their toys? I used to just have them do it every night but it's actually easier to keep picking up periodically throughout the day. It doesn't get as overwhelming.

BigPapa

My daughter has to put one thing away before she gets another thing out. For example, if she is playing with her Legos she has to put those away before she can get the dolls out. I don't like to have toys everywhere all the time. Besides, it is easier to get it in smaller doses than all at once.

On The Mark

One thing at a time here as well. Before, it was the toys. Now it's the clothes. It's easier to pick up a pair of pants then a whole wash-load of clothes.

Andersson

Daily. We have always had a daily pick up for toys in the house with our kids and now the same rule applies when their kids come to visit. It works best this way so we never end up stepping on anything.

olderthandirt

With mine, I limited them to one thing out at a time in the living areas, but no limits in the play room or their bedrooms. Picking up was before meals - if not picked up, you didn't get to sit down and eat. Now that they're teens, I don't say a lot about their rooms, as long as it's cleaned weekly.

polamalu43

We had a rule - pick it up when you are through with it. You can't get more than three toys out at once. Everything has a home and must be in it prior to going to bed for the night. It worked for us when the kids were younger.