Twins running in the family

SoontoBe

My mother's grandmother had one set of twins. Her sister had two sets of twins. I wonder what our chance of having twins might be. They do run in the family.

Howard

I have heard that genetic traits seem to express themselves most predominantly in alternating generations. It sounds like twins could be a real possibility for you.

chea

I think it does. My mom had twins... Me and my brother. And her sister had twins.. My nephews. So I think it definitely can run in the family.

youngone

The twin gene can definitely be passed on, it is known as hyperovulation. It will usually skip a generation so I think the probability of you having twins is considerably higher than the average person.

Miller

Twins run in our family, too, although they haven't happened in my immediate family. There's a good chance for them. Somehow, we have more friends with twins than I remember from earlier years.

BigPapa

It is true, if twins run in a family it usually skips a generation. I grew up with several sets of twins in my neighborhood but I never really thought about it. I am glad that twins don't run in my family!

JRDeep

Twins run on my mothers side of the family. It's something that kinda stressed me out when my wife was expecting. I was looking forward to being a father. I didn't even think about the twin factor until my mom brought it up after we told her she was going to have another grandchild.

Hank

Don't forget that it has to come from the mother's side of the family and is passed on to daughter's only. If a man is a twin or comes from a family who has a lot of twins it won't matter because the tendency to ovulate more than one ova at a time is up to the female, not the male.

Lorenzo

I think Hank is right. So, if your wife doesn't have a history of having twin births in the family - even if you have a lot of twins on your side - the chances are slim that this "trend" would continue in your own family. But then again, at this time and age anything can happen.

daddyjay

I think there is the possibility you could have twins. It is hard to know the exact statistics of the possibililty. My grandmother had two sets of twins and now my cousin had twins. There were some other twins in the family as well.

Don

My mother is a twin. Her aunts were twins and so were their aunts. It does run in the family. I've always heard the woman determines whether there are twins or not and the man determines whether the baby is a boy or a girl.

tommymac

My mother's grandmother had one set of twins. Her sister had two sets of twins. I wonder what our chance of having twins might be. They do run in the family.
Only on the female side. The male sperm has no influence on whether or not a female drops more than one egg or if the egg splits into to zygotes.

Niceness8000

It's not something I would count on. The only way I would expect that your chances of having twins goes up is if you wait until later in life to have them. Otherwise, I think the chances are still pretty low.