Unusual first words?

Babar

Did any of your babies speak some colorful first words (something other than "ma-ma" or "da-da")? Where do you think they picked up the word or phrase in question?

Michael

I have a whole scrapbook my sister did on my little girl with three wonderful layouts listing all those words, and I can't remember a single one of them right now. This goes to show that you need to do those scrapbooks. She had some adorable ones. My wife would kill me if she thought I'd forgotten any of them. I remember she told me she really liked "this cottontail, Daddy," when she had her first cotton candy at the fair.

Timothy

Haha Babar, I think I see where you're going with this, and yeah, our son did pick up a few choice, four-letter words when he was first learning to talk. I think "da-da" was his very first word (which hurt my wife's feelings since she was staying at home with him at the time) followed shortly thereafter by "mama" and s-h-i-t. (We have to spell out everything now because of that, lol.)

Victor

My 2 year old has been known to curse occasionally. What's worse is she does it in context, usually after she drops something! We occasionally tell her those are adult words, not kid words, and otherwise ignore it, and she tends to stop doing it when she doesn't get any attention for it.

Lieutenant

My daughter's first words were of course da-da but the funniest thing happened with her second word. She started saying "Puss" and my wife freaked. She thought she was learning bad words but I realized that I would push her on the swing and say "push." of course I just agreed with my wife for awhile that someone was filling our child's head with profanities. Eventually I told her my theory and she settled down.

JenVarsity

Our daughter's first words were actually pretty common: hello, da-da, and muma. My brother's first word was "Bull-yit." I'm sure we all know what that was. Apparently he spent too much time with Grandpa. My nephews were "ya man" or something of the sort.

My daughter is two now and her most common words are "dam-it dog." Fortunately, my fiance's son's dog will be leaving the house next week. No sense in having a pet if you're not going to take care of it. I am fairly sure with the dog gone I will stop cussing at it and my daughters words will change once again.

collin

Interesting

This is a funny thread. I think many children hear what's around them and yes, they will certain emulate what they've heard. Its been more than once when we've heard our boy (now 11) use language that is not exactly.. er... appropriate.

It can be a little funny at times, but it can be embarrassing too if not nipped in the bud. After all, we don't want our young sons and daughters running around like trash talking drunk sailors now, do we?

LOL

Just have to nip it in the bud and yes fella's... that means WE have to watch our dirty mouths.

Did anyone mention soap?