Use Acrylics or Oil Paint?

Andersson

I really want to get back into painting as a hobby but I have never messed with oil paint. Does anyone here know much about it? I am only familiar with acrylics.

DeputyDad

Oil paints take a lot longer to dry so the painting process is slower as you wait between each layer and color. It does give a more textured look to the painting which makes it worth the extra time. Clean up is a little more difficult. You'll need paint thinner. There is also more of an odor and you'll need ventilation in an enclosed space.

Last edited:

Andersson

I am not sure if the wife would let me have stinky paint thinner in the house or not. I might need to talk her into letting me build a shop that I can do this outdoors. How bad is the smell?

DeputyDad

It's the smell of turpentine which can get a little overpowering in a small space. You don't want to breathe in the fumes.

I used to do a lot of painting but I haven't done it in a long time. I had carpal tunnel surgery several years ago and my hand just hasn't been as steady.

It is a great hobby, though, and I encourage you to give it a shot! It's very relaxing and you get a real feeling of accomplishment creating art.

Last edited: