What should i do?

agoodwriter

Hey.

What should i do with this.. I broke up with my girlfriend recently, we got 10 years old boy who would like to stay and live with me, but my ex-girlfriend want's that my son will live with her..

I have a criminal record.. So i think that in the trial i can not get custody of my son..

Victor Leigh

This is so sad. Your criminal record is your past history. I don't think it diminishes your right to be a father. However that's my personal opinion. Like you said, the court is most likely to think otherwise.

agoodwriter

This is so sad. Your criminal record is your past history. I don't think it diminishes your right to be a father. However that's my personal opinion. Like you said, the court is most likely to think otherwise.
Yeah.. That's what i have been thinking too!.. That's why i'm not even going into the trial, because today my lawyer said that it's about 70% sure that i don't get the custody of my boy, because i have criminal record.

meowcow

Sorry to hear about your situation, it is very unfortunate. I suggest that you either work it out with your ex girl friend or you both get lawyers. Whatever you choose to do, you are going to have to work it out between the both of you. Admittedly, lawyers will only make things a little more complicated, but at least it will get done. Good luck!

Victor Leigh

It's too bad that the one person who will be most affected by this will not be able to have any say in the matter. I think in some countries, when the child is of a certain age, the court will leave the choice to the child.

Kina

Your best bet is to wait until the child is 13. You should get split custody, her as the sole. But when the child turns 13 (Most states you have to wait 3 years before you can take someone back to court) then the child will have more say in where they want to go.

Godric

I know this is a stupid question but why don't you try talking to your ex-girlfriend and bet her? I mean, tell her to let her son decide. He's already 10 years old.

Victor Leigh

I know this is a stupid question but why don't you try talking to your ex-girlfriend and bet her? I mean, tell her to let her son decide. He's already 10 years old.
Talking to an ex would not be the easiest thing to do. Basically, if you can still talk to your girl, she wouldn't become an ex.

Godric

Talking to an ex would not be the easiest thing to do. Basically, if you can still talk to your girl, she wouldn't become an ex.
I have to agree that it won't be easy but sometimes we have to do things that we don't want to do to be able to succeed. Especially if it involves your relationship with your son.

Kina

This never works... never. My ex could care less how I feel about my children. She gauges my love on the check I write every week, and the things I buy the,.

Communicating with an ex is one of the hardest things to do, and to know you have YEARS of commitment left to have to comminucate with them is depressing.

Lorenzo

I still go with trying to talk to the ex and letting the son decide. It could fail, but it is worth a try. I'm sure if the mother does love her son, she would want to make him happy and would agree to a compromise with you.