When teens rebel

Lorenzo

I always had an easy-going relationship with my oldest daughter, until she turned 15, that is. Whereas before, she used to tell me what goes on in her life, now, I don't know anything unless I press. What's more disappointing is that she doesn't seem to respect me anymore. She doesn't care if she breaks my rules and even ignores her "punishments."

My wife and I are both exasperated. We tried talking to our daughter separately, but this didn't seem to work. :(

Bearsfan

My sister had this problem with her oldest daughter. Everything was a struggle or argument. It can be scary, because as a parent, you worry about all the bad things that could happen. I am not looking forward to when my girls hit that age.

Justadad

My daughter was exactly the same! She is now a mother herself, has apologized to me and her mother many times for her behavior as a teenager, and is dreading the same happening with her daughter. Hopefully, she will turn out fine.

Victor

I wish you luck. Please save some of that luck for myself when my two daughters become teens. It's hard enough when they are toddlers; I don't even know what I'll do during the teen years.

Jack

They are not children anymore, but they are not adults yet, either. Their brains and bodies are going through the maturation process, and the hormonal changes create all kinds of intense emotions in them. Start expecting her to act like an adult, and eventually she will.

Andersson

I wish you as much luck as possible. Our girl was great, our son on the other hand was another matter. Standing them next to one another you would have never guessed they were siblings let alone blood. Both took different routes in their teen years and after many hard days (and some nights) the son finally got his act together.