When they scatter

olderthandirt

Two of my three girls already plan on moving far from me when they graduate. One wants to move to California (all the way across the country!) and the other wants to move to Miami, FL by her grandfather. Thankfully, one does plan on sticking around dear old dad.

Bear

How old are your kids? You never know they may change their minds. Kids often decide to fly the nest, but they also frequently decide that it's not their cup of tea and come back.

olderthandirt

They're 16 and 17, Bear. One might change her mind, as she does tend to be more changeable, but I guarantee one will end up in Miami. She's been determined to move there since she was 12, with never a hesitation. She prefers Florida weather and a warmer ocean.

Andersson

Kids, just like some adults say one thing and do another. I remember when I was younger I said I would never step foot on a plane. A year after I turned 18 I was on a plane to no man's land, decided to travel to the other side of the country and get a taste of what that side was up to. Then I moved back when I was in my late 20's.

Victor

Olderthandirt, your Florida girl sounds like me. I decided to move halfway across the country to Florida when I was a teen as well. Although I did end up making a brief detour to Chicago, I've been in Florida most of my adult life.

On The Mark

Sometimes kids need to do that. They need to move away to see how other people live. Sometimes they like it, sometimes they don't, but at least they can say they tried something different.