Where will baby sleep?

Johnson

Where will your baby be sleeping when they come home from the hospital? Will you start them off in your room or will they sleep in a crib in their own room?

chelly

Most in my family did the parents bedroom for the first month or so and then moved into the nursery area. I can only thing of one that went straight into the nursery but that is also the only family member who was a "good baby" right from the start.

Strongarm

We are going to set up the crib in our room in the beginning. Maybe after a month or two we'll move the crib to their own room and just use one of those speaker systems so we can hear the baby.

Daniel

My wife and I both like having a separate nursery. It makes it much easier to ignore every little whimper and only tend to the baby when he really needs it. That sounds a bit cold, but if the baby is right next to you you worry about every tiny little noise and it's hard to get any sleep.

Clive

We're going to be using a bassinet in our room for a while. I'm not sure how long though. This is our first and we aren't really sure what to expect, so we're just leaving it kind of open ended.

FatherYoung

We are going to do just like we did with our first born - use a separate room next to our bedroom to set up the crib. The main reason is because our apartment has rather small rooms and it would be uncomfortably crowded to keep it in our bedroom. We can hear every little noise through the door, so - hopefully - there won't be any problems.

Independent

Our kids slept in a travel crib by our bed until they were six months old. Then we transferred them to a crib in their own room.

john1007

We did a bassinet for the first two months so that we could move between the rooms if needed. It made it easier. We would take turns sleeping in his room, or sleep in the living room. We changed it up if he got too fussy at night.

crowl

I still think starting in their own room is the best option. Tons of kids have a fear of their room when they are little and most times when I hear this from parents its the very same parents who let the kid sleep in their room instead from the start.

JakeJ

If you have the space then I would say an adjoining room is the best option, especially for light sleepers. But I don't think it creates any long term sleeping problems if you have a very new baby in your own bedroom.

Phillie

A bassinet in our room for a while. Then we will move the baby into their own room into a crib. Of course we will have baby monitors in the room. The nursery in our house is right next to our room.

Jack

Since my wife nursed our babies, it was much more convenient to have a baby basket in our room right with us so she could nurse the baby right in our bed.

SoontoBe

We have a baby bed that has been in my family for years. My wife wants to use it to please my grandmother, who is in her 90s. All her babies slept in it. I've checked to make sure it's safe for the baby. It's tiny, so we'll use it for show and keep a more modern crib close to us in our small apartment.

Timothy

Our kids slept in their own rooms from the get go. We felt it would be better this way versus trying to break them of sleeping in the room with us.

Lorenzo

Straight from the hospital when they were born, all our children slept with their mom in our own room. It was like a custom in our family already for babies to sleep with their mothers, so they would get the best care possible. Also, all the kids have been breast-fed so the arrangement was easier for everyone.

Bear

Both of our babies spent the first three months in our room, and then we transitioned them into a crib in their own room for naps at first, and then for bedtime as well. My son is a year old and my wife still turns the monitor in our room on every night because she is afraid she won't hear him if he cries.

Victor

My wife nurses, so the baby always sleeps part of the time in a bassinet next to the bed and the rest of the time in bed with us. Our youngest is almost 6 months old and while she starts out in a crib at the foot of the bed, she always is in our bed by morning. I'm not sure when my wife is going to move her to her own room.

Victor Leigh

My babies had always slept in the same bed with me. We put them in the middle between me and my wife. Makes things a lot simpler. Of course, we put a plastic sheet under their bedding.

Babar

We've always kept our newborns in their own rooms, because it's not fair that both of us should have to lose sleep on a routine basis. This setup allowed us to get a reasonable amount of sleep by switching off on the responsibility of tending to the child in the middle of the night.

Ownageprankers

My wife and I both like having a separate nursery. It makes it much easier to ignore every little whimper and only tend to the baby when he really needs it. That sounds a bit cold, but if the baby is right next to you you worry about every tiny little noise and it's hard to get any sleep. We are going to do just like we did with our first born - use a separate room next to our bedroom to set up the crib. The main reason is because our apartment has rather small rooms and it would be uncomfortably crowded to keep it in our bedroom. We can hear every little noise through the door, so - hopefully - there won't be any problems. Another reason is because tons of kids have a fear of their room when they are little and most times when I hear this from parents its the very same parents who let the kid sleep in their room instead from the start.