Wife wants the tree down already

DeputyDad

By the time Christmas is done, my wife is ready to take down the tree and put all the holiday decorations away. I say that we should leave everything up until after the new year. What's the hurry?

Sinbian

I like to keep the tree even past New Year up to the end of January. It keeps me in the holiday mood for a very long time. :) But that's just me.

polamalu43

We heat our home with a wood stove. We always take the tree down before January 1st. The needles just keep dropping! It's a mess. We do leave all the other decorations up throughout the house though. Most of them are snowmen so they stay up all through winter.

Victor

If we had a real tree and had to deal with needles everywhere, I'd want to take the tree down sooner too, polamalu. We have a fake one though and leave it up until early-mid January.

Bear

My wife informed me that she is planning to take our trees down today while I am at work. They have been up since the middle of November so it is time. Down here there is an old wives tale about it being bad luck to have them up on New Year's.

BestDaddyEver

We have a fake tree and we usually keep ours up until New Year's. It is more out of laziness than anything else, though, haha. It looks pretty up, but after a certain period of time, I feel like it's more appropriate to take it down.

CHenne

We still have our tree up too. We usually take it down a couple of days after Christmas. My wife really is enjoying the tree this year - so are the kids. I think we will take it down on Tuesday.

DeputyDad

I've never heard that it's bad luck to have a tree up on New Year's Day. I've heard the opposite. The Twelve Days of Christmas start on Christmas day and end on January 7th, the day after Epiphany. I think a lot of people confuse Advent with the Twelve Days of Christmas.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I already took everything down. The wife doesn't care if they are up or not and the youngest kept pulling at things. We also seem to be leaving for my sons checkup earlier then previous years. So it just seemed right while I had the time. Otherwise January 6th is the typical day I like to take stuff down.

DeputyDad

I took the tree down this morning. My wife had to work today and it's just me and the girls. We made a game out of it and thought we'd surprise my wife and have it all done before she gets home. Now, the reward is to head outside and play in the snow.

Andersson

We take our tree down the weekend after New Year's and that means this weekend. I am happy to say as we get older the trees get smaller so it is not as much of a hassle as it was twenty years ago.