Worst moments ever for this single dad

olderthandirt

The worst moments I've had being a single dad were the ones where I had to do 'the birds and the bees' talks. I've been on my own with my girls since the oldest was 7, so there was no woman there to discuss things like periods and development. By the time my third was ready to have these discussions, I was pretty well immune to embarrassment, but boy, was it ever hard with the first two!

What's the hardest thing to handle for you as a single father? Or am I the only one dealing with that right now?

John

I'm not a single father, but my brother brought up his boys after his wife died. They were 10, 15, and 17. The toughest thing he had to deal with was trying to make their games, their activities, and take the time to listen to them. He did a great job, but he doesn't think so.

On The Mark

If I were a single father, yes, the hardest thing would be the woman issues. If I were in that position I would seek out a female friend I can trust and ask her to mentor my daughter as time allows. It would make both me and my daughter more comfortable about it all.

Timeless

According to my daughter these things are taught in school at an early age here. When it came time to discuss it she was already telling us what she knew.

polamalu43

I am not a single dad but I can relate - kind of. My daughter got her monthly for the first time when my wife was out of town. Thankfully they already had the talk but I was the first to know that she was now a "woman". I remember how excited she was!

Andersson

According to my daughter these things are taught in school at an early age here. When it came time to discuss it she was already telling us what she knew.
It makes you wonder when they really start teaching these things, huh? I know we are not single parents for our kids (now adults) but they knew before we had to talk to them too.

Timeless

What they don't hear in class they hear on the school bus. The children would come home and talk about conversations from one kid to another about sex. The problem is the bus has children from grade 7 to 12 so the younger children hear conversations they shouldn't.

olderthandirt

They're taught the mechanics of the process, but not the thought processes and values that should go with a decision. I wanted to go beyond what the school taught, plus needed them to know how I felt about it.

popsmcnitt

My worst moment is about to come. I am losing custody of my son next week. I have visitation rights but it's not enough. I don't know what I am going to do with myself next Saturday when my son isn't around. We usually head out to the ice rink for his usual hockey practice on Saturday mornings. I am going be so sad without him.