Your children's opinions

Pascallist

When you are planning another baby, do you take your kids' opinions into consideration? Would you ask them if they want another sibling or not? What if they said no?

Bonzay

Son of my wife's sister drove her crazy to make him another brother because he has two sisters that drove him crazy. :D Having the fourth kids isn't an option for my her at the moment so she had to explain to him a number of times that, and he is only seven.

Jonathan

That's too funny! Kids seem to think that planning and having a baby is so simple and easy to do as buying a pair of shoes. Anyway, are the sisters younger or older than the boy?

TakeYourTime

It's nice if kids take ownership of their new brother or sister, but what if the child says,"No way?" Then what do you do? It's good to let them thinking they're sharing in the decision making, but do you actually take their vote into consideration? I would not.

bighelp

We have never ran into that issue but it is something I wish more people would think about before hand. I know one lady who has 6 kids right now and her oldest is about 23 with a kid already (following in mothers footsteps). Most of her younger kids are already trying to get out of the house and the craziness. :(

Keepworking

Wow, I can't imagine having to raise six kids. In the past I know it was not uncommon to have a large family. But there was still so much space in this planet and you could even have a farm and grow your own food.

Paul1960

When you are planning another baby, do you take your kids' opinions into consideration? Would you ask them if they want another sibling or not? What if they said no?
We didn't take our kids' opinions into consideration when we were having children. We knew before we got married that we wanted two children, and anything our children might have said against that would not have changed our minds about it. After the first child was born, even if he had said he didn't want a sibling, we still would have had another child. After the second child was born, my wife had her tubes tied, so nothing our second child said about a third child mattered, lol.

Ifamily

I have to admit that we never asked the kids about having or not having another baby. We have two kids and we don't feel like having another. Two is enough for us, and for the kids as well.

Kost

Always, if you did not do that then what is being a part of a family all about? It would sound like you are being a hypocrite or something.

joeldgreat

We already had three kids and me and my wife thinks that its enough already. But when we open up the idea of having a forth baby, our kids excitedly jumps up and really pushes us to have another one. My eldest is already entering her teenage year while my youngest is 7 years old. Seeing their reaction about the idea really excites us to conceive another. But of course, we ended up of sticking to the first idea.

encryptedbytes

I'm done having kids now, but I would certainly take my children's opinion into consideration when decided to have another child or not. I would ask them about their opinion and why it is, but also explain that ultimately the decision is up to Mom and Dad and what happens may or may not be what they wanted, but no matter what, we're a family and all in this together for better or worse.

Lorenzo

When we had our eldest, naturally she wanted for us to get pregnant again. She was very vocal about wanting a little brother or sister and my wife and I actually took her suggestion to heart :D But fourteen years and five kids after, we stopped listening to the kids' wants (for an additional sibling) and started being mindful of the family's budget instead.

Victor Leigh

Never got round to doing a poll with my children before having another one. We just went ahead and took whatever came along. The kids looked forward to it, too. Kind of like a promotion whenever a new one comes along.

Timothy

We've never asked our son if he wants a little brother or sister, because, most importantly, we're not having another child, but even if we were considering the idea, he's too young to understand what it means to have a little brother or sister. The way we see it, his sibling is our responsibility, not his, so the choice to or not to have another child is ours, not his.

Victor

I don't see it as hypocritical to not ask the children about having siblings. Children are not mature enough to grasp the implications of having a sibling, on family dynamics, on mom's body, and on the budget. This is strictly a decision between the parents.